Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
Nitrous Oxide is a mild temporary sedative. It is effective in reducing the anxiety associated with the dental appointment. After treatment you will be given oxygen to breathe to dissipate the effects of the nitrous oxide and return you to a normal state.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is safe, the patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide. It is a pleasant smelling gas which is inhaled comfortably through a nasal mask. The patient is able to breathe on their own and speak and swallow throughout the procedure.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”. It is rapidly cleared from your system and you can drive yourself home.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.